Consumers have many options to choose from, for their cell phone service.  However, not all mobile phone service providers are the same and it may be difficult to switch carriers and keep your same mobile device.  Outside of the general questions about changing to a new mobile phone service provider  below are questions the Fix & Style Mobile Device Repair Center hears most ofter on using the same cell phone and  SIM card.


What is the difference between GSM and CDMA phones?

A. GSM and CDMA are the names of types of cellular networks that service providers use. GSM carriers tend to use SIM cards and CDMA carriers do not. Carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile, and Simple Mobile are GSM carriers, while carriers like Verizon, Sprint, Cricket, and Boost Mobile are CDMA carriers.


If I have a CDMA phone and want to switch to GSM carrier, can I use my old phone?

A. Under most circumstances the answer is no. The only time it would be possible is if you had a dual-band phone or a world phone. In either case there would be an area inside the phone that a SIM card could be inserted.


If I have CDMA service and want to switch to another CDMA provider, do I need have my phone unlocked?

A. No.  When you want to switch service with a CDMA carrier, you need your phone Flashed. Flashing involves directly removing your phone from one carrier band and placing it on another. This means you will need to have already started service with the company you plan on moving to and when you bring us your old phone we can flash it to your new service.

I decided to leave my service provider and get a prepaid service that gives me a SIM card but not a phone. Can I put the SIM card in my old phone?

A. That depends on the type of phone you have. The majority of phones come in either CDMA or GSM format. CDMA-only phones do not use SIM cards while GSM phones do. If your previous phone was a GSM phone and you get it unlocked, then you should be able to use your new SIM Card.  We can perform a secure mobile phone unlock for you at our Fairfax location.


I just bought an iPhone 4S online and I want to use the SIM card from my old phone but it is too big. What can I do?

A. We are able to properly cut your SIM down to a micro-SIM, which is what the iPhone 4 and 4S uses. We can also cut down your SIM to nano-SIM, which is what the iPhone 5 uses.


If you have any questions or need help keeping your current mobile device and SIM card after changing mobile phone service providers, please stop in at our Mobile Phone Repair Center in Fairfax, VA.  Fix & Style is happy to help!


Please see other articles on:

Mobile Device Water and Liquid Damage

Smartphone and Mobile Device Screen Repair

Mobile Device Data Loss, Batteries and Charging

Mobile Device Replacement Parts